Saturday, February 12, 2011

Babies, Solitary Confinement and Sex Appeal

Weird title but interesting explanation...

I spent this morning watching 3 very interesting documentaries. I looked on Netflix and didn't really have a preference about which one I wanted to watch, I just went with which one sounded good to me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Babies

This documentary was about four different babies growing up in four different countries. One grew up in Africa, one in Japan, one in Asia, and one in the USA. It was a huge eye opener to how we, as Americans, take advantage of what we have. I know that was not the point of the movie, but that is really what I kept focusing on. I mean the child in Africa would roam around with goats and eat off of the ground. The child in Asia would get yelled at for wasting water while washing dishes. The culture is just so vastly different that you don't realize how much you have until you see what other countries have, or don't have. I mean this kid in Africa was born without any type of medicine, under a tent, out in the open Sahara with danger lurking in every direction. While the kid born in the US was hooked up to at least 5 different machines monitoring her every breath. I mean, given, I would never do what the women in Africa or Asia did but still it's so weird to see the differences between cultures. If you have not seen this documentary I recommend it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Solitary Confinement

This documentary was just scary to watch. I mean to be locked away, BY YOURSELF, alone, with no one to talk to, for over 13 years is so unreal to me it made me cringe. I could not stay locked away with out any human contact for the amount of time that these people are locked away for. The only human contact they have is when the guards are shuffling them from one cell to another, or to shower, or to take them to exercise. When it is time to eat the guards open the slot for the meal tray and then lock it right back up. They get 15 minute shower, but they are being watched the entire time. They get an hour in the "gym", which is only a room with a pull up bar. They sleep, eat, and pace back and forth for 23 hours a day in a tiny 8 by 12 room. It's inhumane, honestly. These people are going crazy. They look at walls and concrete for 23 hours a day for up to... the rest of their lives. I could never do what these people are forced to do. I mean the literally have all the time in the world to do nothing. And I admit that every once in a while it's nice to sit on the couch and do nothing, read a book or watch TV. But these people have nothing but blank, white walls to look at. I would go insane. I have to have contact with other people to keep my sanity. I was so fascinated with this documentary I just wanted to know more and my eyes were glued to the TV to find out how these people kept alive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sex Appeal

I didn't get to finish this one but I got 3/4 of the way through it. But from what I saw it was very interesting. Attraction is based off of a lot of different things: symmetry, smell, the laws of attraction, the sound of someones voice (the lower for men the more sexy, the higher for women the sexier and more attractive they were). I found some things to be rather weird like how women find men more attractive if they have a symmetrical face. Men find women more attractive when they have a more feminine face (higher cheek bones and a narrower jaw line). I don't know much to say about this one because it was a lot of science behind it and yeah it was really good but it's just hard to explain "the golden rule of symmetry". I just recommend watching it and see if you follow the "golden rule".



-Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment